Saturday, April 2, 2011

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity? If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online , print it and mail it to: Internal Revenue Service Fresno, CA 93888 If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available: • Name and address of the person you are reporting • The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business) • A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information • The years involved • The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income • Your name, address and daytime telephone number Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential. How to Report Abusive Tax Promotions and/or Promoters: Complete the referral form which documents the information necessary to report an abusive tax avoidance scheme. The form can be mailed or faxed to the IRS address and fax number on the form. How to Report Abusive CPAs, Attorneys or Enrolled Agents: Report suspicious actions by tax professionals to the email address of the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility. Reporting Fraud Question: What can I do if I think someone has filed a tax return using my social security number? Answer: The IRS has security measures in place to verify the accuracy of tax returns and the validity of social security numbers submitted. • If you receive a notice from the IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your social security number fraudulently, please notify the IRS immediately by responding to the name and number printed on the notice or letter. • You can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline toll-free at 877-438-4338 if you suspect someone else is using your social security number, or to secure information on how to prevent identity theft. • If you are an actual or potential victim of identity theft and would like the IRS to mark your account to identify any questionable activity, please complete Form 14039 Identify Theft Affidavat available on Identity Theft and Your Tax Records The IRS does not initiate communication with taxpayers through e-mail. Before identity theft happens, safeguard your information. What do I do if the IRS contacts me because of a tax issue that may have been created by an identity theft? If you receive a notice or letter in the mail from the IRS that leads you to believe someone may have used your Social Security number fraudulently, please respond immediately to the name, address, and/or number printed on the IRS notice. Be alert to possible identity theft if the IRS issued notice or letter: • states more than one tax return was filed for you, or • indicates you received wages from an employer unknown to you. An identity thief might also use your Social Security number to file a tax return in order to receive a refund. If the thief files the tax return before you do, the IRS will believe you already filed and received your refund if eligible. If your Social Security number is stolen, it may be used by another individual to get a job. That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number, making it appear that you did not report all of your income on your tax return. If you have previously been in contact with the IRS and have not achieved a resolution, please contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free at 1-800-908-4490. What do I do if I have not been contacted by IRS for a tax issue but believe I am a victim of identity theft? If your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft, but you believe you may be at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity, credit report, or other activity, you need to provide the IRS with proof of your identity. You should submit a copy, not the original documents, of your valid Federal or State issued identification, such as a social security card, driver's license, or passport, etc, along with a copy of a police report and/or a completed IRS Identity Theft Affidavit - Form 14039. Please send these documents using one of the following options: Mailing address: Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 9039 Andover, MA 01810-0939 FAX: Note that this is not a toll-free FAX number 1-978-247-9965 You may also contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll-free 1-800-908-4490 for guidance. Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time). 888-712-7690

No comments: